Saying “I Love You” for the first time is scary. Who says it first? What’s the right way to say it? Here are 10 ways to know that you’re ready to say those three little words:
1. You’re confident in their feelings. You might not know if they’re ready to say it back to you, but you should have a good idea of how they feel about you. If it’s right, you should have already heard them tell you how much they like you, how they love spending time with you, etc. If they’ve never expressed any of their feelings then telling them you love them might not be a good place to start.
2. You think it all the time. If you say it in your head all the time, or are constantly working at not letting it slip out, then you should probably just come out and say it already!
3. You feel that you have a real connection. This is something above and beyond just really liking each other or having fun together. When you really love someone there is a deep connection that you can’t quite explain but is very different from just liking them a lot. You’ll know it when you feel it.
4. You’ve tested the waters. Leading up to saying “I Love You” you’ve probably tested the waters by expressing your feelings to them. Maybe you’ve told them that you think they’re really special or that you feel really close to them and really like them. You’ll have been able to see their reaction, and if it’s been a positive one then chances are they’ll be happy to hear you tell them “I love you”.
5. You can both be yourselves. Part of loving someone and having a deeper connection beyond a casual relationship is the ability to let your guard down and be yourself. Being able to be yourself, and letting the other person get to know and love the real you is a sure sign that you really love each other.
6. You’ve talked about your future. If you’ve talked about your future and included each other in it, then it’s probably safe to say that you both see this relationship lasting. It’s time to tell them “I Love You” if you are imagining your futures together.
7. You’ve waited an appropriate amount of time. There is no magical formula for when to say it, but let’s just say that it’s definitely not after the first date or just knowing each other for 2 days. Don’t rush it and make sure you’re only saying it after you’ve been together for a while and you’ve expressed your feelings in other ways.
8. You say it all the time – non-verbally. Maybe you’re already saying it to each other all the time without realizing it. If your actions and gestures towards each other are loving, caring, and thoughtful then it’s time to say it out loud.
9. You’re prepared for their response. Of course you are hoping they’ll say it back but there is always the risk that they don’t or they aren’t ready to say it yet. You’re ready to say it if you’ve considered this possibility but still feel that you just can’t keep quiet anymore.
10. You’re saying it for the right reasons. It’s the right time to say it if you’re doing so because you really love them and just can’t help but tell them. The time isn’t right if you’re doing it to try to save the relationship or saying it for any other reason that isn’t totally genuine.