Sometimes it’s just not working anymore and you know that you need to call it quits. Breaking up is hard, no matter how you do it. Here are the Dos and Don’ts to make it as smooth as possible:
· Be honest but tactful. Say for example that you’re breaking up because you aren’t attracted to them anymore. Don’t lie and tell them it’s because your parents don’t approve. But don’t be so honest that you hurt them. Find a way to be honest without hurting their feelings.
· Hear them out. Chances are you’ve been thinking about breaking up for a while and have had time to hash it out in your head. Don’t just spring it on them and then walk away. Let them have their say and let them talk too.
· Give them space afterwards. Even if you decide that you want to remain friends, give it some space so you can both adjust to life without each other.
· Do it face to face. Under no circumstances should you breakup over email, text, Facebook, Twitter, or any other way than sitting down alone, face to face.
· Find the right time. If their Grandmother just passed away or they are about to take a huge exam, don’t break up with them right now. Give them the respect and wait until the time is right.
· Drag it out. If you’ve decided that you want to break up then do it sooner rather than later. Waiting around because you’re afraid to do it will only make you both feel worse.
· Give them false hope. They might suspect something is up and ask you if you’re thinking about breaking up. Don’t lead them on or give them false hope to avoid a confrontation.
· Flaunt a new relationship in front of them. If you get into a new relationship right away have the respect to do it discreetly. Parading your new boyfriend or girlfriend under their nose will be hurtful and you’ll end up feeling like a jerk.
· Make it public. Don’t air your dirty laundry in public by breaking up in front of other people, trashing them on Facebook or saying nasty things about them to your friends. Take the high road and keep things between the two of you.
· Play games. After it’s over don’t try to make the other jealous or make it look like you’ve moved on with someone else if you haven’t. Just be honest and mature about it. They’ll probably see right through your act anyway.