If you’re lucky, you can have an amicable breakup where you both part ways maturely. Unfortunately, some breakups don’t go so smoothly and your ex might tell everyone the dirty details, trash you online, etc. Here’s 10 ways to survive breakup embarrassment:
1. Don’t stoop to their level. Just because your ex is acting like an idiot about your breakup it doesn’t mean that you have to as well. Don’t be tempted to act the same way and start trashing them online or spreading rumors about them.
2. Don’t engage. If they’re bringing private details of your relationship into public, don’t feel the need to respond publicly yourself. Don’t give them the satisfaction of engaging in a battle for everyone to see.
3. Confront them. Talk to them and let them know that you aren’t impressed by what they’re doing and that you’d like them to stop. They may not listen to you, but it’s worth a try.
4. Ignore them. If they continue to trash you in front of everyone or try to embarrass you, it’s best to simply ignore them. They’re trying to get a rise out of you, so don’t give them the satisfaction. If you ignore them they’ll get bored and give up.
5. Act like it’s no big deal. Even if you’re dying of embarrassment, don’t let them see you sweat. Act like they don’t affect you, and like you aren’t really that upset about their actions. They want to see you suffer, so act like it’s not a big deal, even if you have to fake it.
6. Focus on something else. Throw yourself into a project and focus your attention on something else. Distract yourself and you’ll start to forget about the drama with your ex. Dwelling on it won’t help and will only make you feel worse.
7. Surround yourself with positive people. Tune your ex out and spend lots of time with your friends and family and people who support you and build you up. Let them know that you aren’t interested in talking about your relationship and that you want to focus on positive things.
8. Get a change of scenery. In addition to spending time with your friends, take a break from the scene where your ex is. Hangout somewhere else, get out of town for the day, etc. Not having to run into them and see their face goes a long way in helping you get over the drama.
9. Be confident. You might have to fake this at first if you’ve been really embarrassed by your ex, but hold your head up high and act confident. Everyone, including you, will forget about the drama if you can act confidently.
10. Don’t seek revenge. It might be tempting to want revenge for your ex and you might want to make them feel as badly as you do, but resist the temptation. Karma will take care of them without you needing to do it yourself.